Tuesday 30 March 2010

Its finally here..

Hi Everyone, 

This will be my final blog before I head off to the Sahara to take part in the 25th Marathon Des Sable. I can't wait to get out there and I hope that the training over the past year makes it a great week. 

Currently its about 35-40 degrees where we are flying to and on Sunday they are expecting winds of 50mph which in the desert is not good. Thats a serious sandstorm so it will be on with the goggles and watch your head as the tents we sleep in are held up by branches and are not the most stable. 

The course changes every year but because of the 25th anniversary they have extended it to 250km which equates to 155 miles. The run takes place over 7 days with varying distances each day ranging from 13 to 50 miles. On the notorious long day (the 45-50 mile day) you have the option of doing it all in one go or splitting it up as you actually get 2 days to run this. Last time we did it in one day (11.5 hours) which meant we could relax all the next day and let the blisters recover. 

Who knows what's instore this year, whether i'll get blisters on the first day or last day, whether the wind will be a problem or whether it will be humid. There are so many factors that affect the run its hard to know how it will go. 

All I know is that I can't wait to start and find out what's going to happen. 

I'd like to thank a couple of sponsors: 
Embers Merino who kindly donated clothing for the run. Its strange to think that you'd go to the desert and wear a wool top but its comfy, doesn't stink after 2 days and is natural. Thanks Chris

Also thanks to Annabel for the Orbana energy drink. Its helped my training and its good to have something that not only helps me physically but also tastes good. www.orbana.com. 

The are a few essential things that you need to be able to do these runs. Training is critical, mental strength gets you round but non of it could happen without support. 

The support from my wife and family is endless and they help me in so many ways to jet around the world on my mini adventures. I am hugely appreciative of this help - thank you. 

So until I come back be good and if you'd like to keep intouch with me while i'm out in the sahara you can at http://www.darbaroud.com/detail.php?pub=146&langue=en My race number is 855. 


Thanks for your ongoing support and thanks from Mencap also, your sponsorship money is going to very very good use. http://www.justgiving.com/johnnyultra

Bye for now. 

Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment